A Bimbo, Re-Defined

...a princess's diary...

lundi, mai 23, 2005

Wee Kim Wee

Of all the presidents of Singapore, I feel closet to Wee kim wee.

Not that I know him personally, its just that he has this kind and caring look which I can associate to my grandfather.

He died, as all humans will.

Suddenly, I miss my grandma. Thoughts of my grandma surface often, when I feel lost. when I see old women carrying groceries.

I miss you alot, ma2 ma4. where are you now? est-ce que tu va bien?
****************************************************

EULOGY BY GRANDDAUGHTER OF FORMER PRESIDENT WEE KIM WEE - LIM HUI MIN
Weekend May 7, 2005
MY grandfather's achievements as an editor, a diplomat and a head > of state are now the stuff of legend. You would have read all > these things in the newspapers or watched them on television - he > was a public man.
What I should talk about is my grandfather as a family man. I > cannot talk about my grandfather without also talking about my > grandmother. > She was the rock of his life. His last thoughts were of her. They were > holding hands when he finally went to sleep on Monday morning. > > Last year, we celebrated their 68th wedding anniversary. After > dinner he presented her with a red packet full of money, which he > then followed up with a jewellery box - because my grandmother > loves wearing jewellery. > > There was a jade brooch inside the box. And, in return, in front > of everybody, she kissed him three times. They were 87 and 88 at > that time. > Once, (when) I was learning the piano, I thought I would learn > some songs to play at my grandmother's birthday party. I asked my > grandfather what songs he thought she would like. To my surprise > he gave me a type-written sheet (with songs listed)in order of preference. > He was always a busy man - he used to tell me that he had two > million things on his mind. But at some point in his life, he had > sat down and > thought hard about what music my grandmother would enjoy and typed > it all out andkept it in special folder ready to be whipped out at anytime.
Husbands who are here today: Do you have a list of your wife's top > 10 favourite songs in a folder? That's a lesson you can take from > my grandfather. > They celebrated 69 years of marriage together in April this year. > I thank my grandfather from the bottom of my heart for showing us > what it really is like to love a person. I also thank my > grandfather for showing us what it is to love life.
He was a man who enjoyed life. He collected snuff bottles, coins > and stamps. He travelled the world; he played sports; he planted > fruit trees; he loved the smell and taste of hazelnut coffee.
Whenever his grandchildren visited him in his office - whether at > the Malaysian High Commission, the embassy in Tokyo, the Singapore Broadcast Corporation or the huge halls of the Istana - there would > come moments when he would wink at us, open his desk drawer and > say "have a chocolate".
Unknown to my grandmother, who disapproved of his snacking in > between meals, he always kept a secret stash of Hawaiian hazelnut > chocolates, which he ate out of her sight during office hours.
My grandfather loved animals as well. He liked to watch horses running. > He liked dogs and cats and he liked fish. At the last count, his house > contained 11 chickens, eight terrapins, two goldfish and one dog. > >
Once, someone gave him six turkeys. I think the idea was for them > to be fattened up and eaten. My grandfather looked at them and > spoke to them. > He gave them names. I remember my mother saying to me, "Oh no, he > has given them names - we'll never get rid of them now". And so > the turkeys were with us for quite some time.
But one day, they started irritating the chickens so my > grandfather decided to find them a new home. The Singapore Zoo was > chosen. When the family heard about this, of course we all joked > that the turkeys would be fed to the crocodiles. > >
He was so alarmed by this that he made special arrangements with > the zoo. They were to send him a written report every time a > turkey died. > The report had to state the cause of death and age of each turkey. > >
That was the kind of man my grandfather was. He revered and > respected life - even the life of an animal. > >
The stories of his life are, to me, all stories of love. If you > wish to honour his memory in your life, then live your life to the > full, stand by your friends, cherish your family, listen to > everyone with an > open mind and welcome those who cross your path with an open heart. > He has gone on another journey now. We have spent the past five > days saying goodbye to him and it is now the time to let him go. > >
From all your grandchildren and great grandchildren: I know you > love us all so very much. > >
Goodbye gong gong (granddad). Goodbye. >